[fpc-pascal] Spam

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Mar 11 13:28:34 CET 2012

On 11 Mar 2012, at 13:21, Frank Church wrote:

> I agree that it is too early to moderate join requests on account of this
> one message .

I won't moderate join requests (there is no way to know whether a new subscriber will be a spammer or not). It's just that their messages will default to being moderated, and I will generally clear that moderation flag the first time they send a mail if it's not spam.

> This is the first spam I can remember seeing on this mailing
> list in a long while.

That's because of preventative measures (such as holding all mails from non-subscribers for moderator approval -- this also results in lost messages, because sometimes people mail from a different address or are simply not subscribed). It's not because we ignore what spammers do.

> Give it some more time and moderate it if the amount of spam increases to
> an annoying level.

I don't want to wait until that point. And I can also disable this measure again if no new spammers try to join in the upcoming months. It's not like we get 10 new subscribers a day or so (more like 5 to 10 per month, and many of those don't post).

Jonas