[fpc-pascal] FPC and IPv6, and BSD

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 15:51:34 CEST 2012

I'm trying to write a simple finger daemon, capable of both IP4 and IP6.
At present it's using an unprivileged socket so as to avoid problems on
unix platforms.

I appear to be having problems at the bind() call for IP6 (returns -1),
which I suspect is down to my incomplete understanding of the new
sockaddr_in6 structure. Has anybody done this successfully?

As a subsidiary question: noting that a client has to be aware of this:

   sockaddr_in6 = packed Record
     {$ifdef SOCK_HAS_SINLEN}  // as per RFC 2553
       sin6_len    : cuint8;
     {$endif}
     sin6_family   : sa_family_t;
..

so that it initialises the sin6_len field if present (some BSD
variants?), does it see that conditional automatically if defined?
Otherwise how best to do it?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk