[fpc-pascal] libQT4Pas - Why it is needed?

Lars noreply at z505.com
Mon Jan 30 09:35:23 CET 2012

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Lars <noreply at z505.com> wrote:
>> Do other languages like python use the plain c interface, or C++?
>>
>> how about something like ruby, lua, objective C, php ..
>
> No idea, but Python, ruby, lua and php do not generate real programs
> but instead are just scripts which run in a interpreter, which is
> immensely different from a real program.

"Real Programmers"...

When you use pascal to build web programs you use templates, right.. so
you are interpreting templates. When you read an INI file you are
interpreting the INI file. Some pascals, safe ones, are interpreted. Like
Oberon, or  UCSD Pascal. When you parse an Edit.Text and check it to make
sure there is not some user error on input, you are interpreting things.
Compiled programs are not fully compiled, they always contain some run
time interpretation.  When you use regexes they are interpreted. When you
use wildcards in search boxes they are interpreted.  From my testing, CGI
programs that are compiled binaries, are actually SlowER than PHP
programs. I am no fan of PHP , but it is pretty fast.

> A more close comparison to Pascal might be asking what Fortran, Cobol,
> Ada or other similar compiled languages do, and I think that all of
> those would need a C interface.

True, but still interesting to know if Python objects are somehow
compatible with C++ objects, as a kind of academic exersise.. how do they
do it? Possibly they just bind to procedural API, but it would be cool if
they somehow did it more effectively.  I also mentioned Objective C in my
request but I have no idea if objective c even has a QT binding..

> I know very well Java due to Android work, which cannot bind to
> anything directly. It requires a special format using plain procedures
> in a special way, so it is like a C interface, or a plan Pascal
> procedural interface. It is called JNI and it will never accept C++

That's good information and adds to the knowledge.. of how they do it. Cool.