[fpc-pascal] Re: Access violation that I do not understand while creating a class instance

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 16:54:43 CET 2012

On 23/01/12 15:38, ik wrote:
> PChar is an array like approach. AnsiString, is a record based pointer.

AnsiString also stores the string in an array.  It is dynamic, though,
so it stores the size and also reference count.

> It uses more memory, and provide a bit overhead for the same thing.
> At least on theory. I would love to learn that it's not the case.

The only thing you save on here is reference counting, which is probably
negligible.  That's why I asked if you benchmarked it.  Especially since
you've already created a bug in trying to use pchar.

Henry