[fpc-pascal] Advanced Records - Why not available by default?

Lars noreply at z505.com
Sun Jan 15 00:59:33 CET 2012

Daniel Gaspary wrote:
> Any special reason to Advanced Records be available only in Delphi Mode ?

Personally, I'm getting sick of all the new features added to delphi that
don't add anything meaningful, and just add complexity to the compiler.
why didn't borland just make people use old borland objects with methods
instead of new advanced records? Old borland objects are advanced
records..

Ticking me off more: why do we even have objects and classes? what is an
object? what are classes?  I would have preferred if borland would have
just called old borland objects "Extended records" from day one. Now we
have this feature overload in the language and it's becoming more and more
complex of a language (needlessly). Objects, Classes, records.. aren't
they all the same thing? I don't even personally buy the idea that objects
even exist.. i think they are just extended records. What is an object? an
instance of a class? if so, why did borland call the type definition
"object" if it was supposed to be a class? Ugh. Ugly language - it is
becoming - sorry to say!