[fpc-pascal] Re: using exceptions

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:35:07 CET 2012

On 04/01/2012 00:31, Marcos Douglas wrote:
[...]
>> Another interesting article is:
>> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2003/10/13.html
>
> Very interesting and I agree when he say:
> "I think the reason programmers in C/C++/Java style languages have
> been attracted to exceptions is simply because the syntax does not
> have a concise way to call a function that returns multiple values, so
> it's hard to write a function that either produces a return value or
> returns an error."
>
> If we could return more than one value, ok we (maybe) do not need Exceptions.
>
> Marcos Douglas

I find myself often doing either:

function Bla(parameters): integer;
 - > returns => 0 for success/value returned, < 0 for error and upper layers recognize the error codes
(this is pretty much like c common usage you can find in c programs)
or
function Bla(some_params; out ErrorMessage: string):boolean;
or
function Bla(some_params; out ErrorCode: integer): some_type_other_than_integer;

so it's not like you /can't/ return more than one value...
but you need to prepare yourself for it ;)

L.