[fpc-pascal] FPC with case insensitive file system under Linux

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:56:46 CET 2012

Am 28.02.2012 09:47, schrieb Noah Silva:
> Hi Sven,
>
>  From what I've read, the NT kernel (and filesystem) support a lot of
> things that Windows in general doesn't.  Presumably this is because it
> is (unofficially, of course) loosely based on VMS, but Win32 was
> originally designed to work with DOS, etc.

Yes, the NT kernel is definitely much more powerful than the Win32
subsystem. For example it has a single rooted object based file system
where other file systems are automatically mounted and you can access
them through e.g. \Devices\Harddisk0\HarddiskVolume1. Also it supports
symbolic links in there (the Win32 subsystem uses them internally very
much). One can explore all those things for example with my Native NT
port of Free Pascal ;)

The symlink feature I talked about can be used in Vista and newer from
within the Win32 subsystem as well though.

Regards,
Sven