[fpc-pascal] xterm -e program-compiled-with-fpc2.4.0 doesn't work

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 20:19:10 CET 2012

max wrote:
> With the advent of Debian6 fpc 2.4.0-2 has become the only available version.
> Before that, it may have been 1.0 ?
> A simple program of mine compiled in 2008 with the old fpc , when started
> with xterm -e program still runs fine today.

What are you trying to say: that before 2.4 you were using 1.0?

> Now. the new compiler warns about SHELL function being deprecated and
> link.res containing output sections but finishes.

Not sure about the first, I believe the second is the usual behaviour
and can be ignored.

> Though the produced binary runs as expexted when run in an xterm, using the
> method of xterm -e program does not [ this is the method of starting the
> program through the X11 twm-menu, which should come up with a new
> xterm-window] :  I only see a short flicker of an xterm-window then
> disapearing; there's no error message.
> Would anyone have an idea what's wrong?

[Slightly later] I think I can see similar behaviour if running on a
local system, running over ssh (which is what I first tried) changes things.

Try running xterm from a (local) shell, and look at the output. If it's

No absolute path found for shell: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

then invoke the program with an absolute path (i.e. not relying on the
PATH shell variable), or if you're in the current directory make sure
you put ./ in front of it. I don't know why this should depend on the
version of FPC used.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk