[fpc-pascal] Re: RE : Re: RE : Re: RE : FPCUp FPC/Lazarus installer/updater: first Linux/Windows version released

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Sat Feb 11 14:19:45 CET 2012

> > Regarding side by side installations, wouldn't it be better
> to store
> > the lazarus config in a subdir of the lazarus install? A fixed
> > directory makes side by side installation of lazarus very difficult.
> You mean a --primary-config path underneath the lazarus
> application directory? Could be done in principle.
>
> Then again, current fpcup does not have a fixed
> primary-config-path, merely a default one.

Unless I overlooked something, the primary-config-path is pretty hardcoded
now (XdgConfigHome/lazarusdevsettings). Adding a parameter for
primary-config-path would solve a lot.

> I intended to leave the fpc and lazarus svn directories alone
> as much as possible so a user could delete everything and do
> a new checkout whenever he wants without touching config files.

Lazarus config files are sometimes part of the problem when working with
svn. Making an all clean start would preferably also mean removing the
lazarus config files.

> I realize storing fpcup config files (e.g. SVN urls, etc) in
> the lazarus and/or fpc svn dirs may not be desirable - if we
> follow that strategy.

Why not create a fpcup script or link alongside the launcher(s) that take
the same parameters as the one use to create the launcher? Something like
'lazlinkname' and 'lazlinkname Update'.

Ludo