[fpc-pascal] Too tired? Forcedirectories does not seem to work

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 07:46:47 CET 2012

On 6-2-2012 20:53, Sven Barth wrote:
> On 06.02.2012 18:14, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>> On 6-2-2012 17:50, Henry Vermaak wrote:
>>> On 06/02/12 16:40, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>> Perhaps I should submit a patch for the docs indicating that:
>> - ForceDirectories requires an absolute path
>
> This is wrong. ForceDirectories works with relative paths as well. It
> just does not work with path variables that are only known to the shell.
>
>> - On Unix/Linux, directories starting with ~ are considered relative
>> (but where should that be put...)
>
> This is basic Linux/Unix knowledge: every path that does not start with
> a "/" is a relative path.

Mmmm, must have been my tiredness. Yes, I know ~ is not an absolute
path. I supposed ForceDirectories' failure to expand ~ meant it could
not deal with absolute paths. Too tired to investigate further.

And while ~ is a relative path, the defining characteristic is that is a
character that gets expanded by (at least) the shell, as Mattias pointed
out in his other mail.

Still, ExpandFileName DOES expand ~ to /home/whatever, and that is not
mentioned in help:
"ExpandFileName expands the filename to an absolute filename."

I think the docs for ExpandFileName should be updated to indicate ~ gets
expanded, e.g.:
"ExpandFileName expands the filename to an absolute filename. On
Unix/Linux systems, ExpandFileName will also expand the ~ (home
directory) symbol."

Thanks,
Reinier