[fpc-pascal] Basically on the right track?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 14:39:41 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Patrick <patrick at spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> I am also finding the site confusing. If I click on AMD64/x86_64  on the
> binary download page and then choose  sourceforge, I end up being offered a
> package that says fpc-2.6.0.i386-linux.tar.
>
> I did find another link and installed the compiler.

The AMD64/x86_64 link is for a crosscompiler of some sort. It does not
work when you install it to your 64-bit computer. I have tested that
many times because I always forget it.
It is so extremely misleading! Could someone from the FPC team please fix it.
Also the FPC sources can be found only behind many clicks. It could be
more straightforward.
... and the Debian packages are divided to 44 (or some) pieces which
should be downloaded one by one.
Fortunately Mattias Gärtner has made easy Debian packages for FPC.
They can be found in Lazarus downloads page. (!)

This is bad. The first impression is always important and installation
should be as simple as possible.
It bothers me even though I am not a newbie any more.
Lazarus pages are a bit messy, too, but not as bad.

Juha