[fpc-pascal] Re: Editing resource of executable

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Aug 31 21:23:30 CEST 2012

On 8/31/2012 11:55, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 31-8-2012 17:48, waldo kitty wrote:
>> if i'm reading the above correctly, it would appear that it can possibly
>> do what you are looking for... maybe...
> I'd say it can definitely do what he's asking for - but I'm biased:

as well you should be :)

> you did notice the guy posting that message is me? And that I again posted
> the link to my CheckRide code project in this thread? ;)

yup... i've been jumping back and forth thru several things while catching up on
my emails...

> Thanks for looking up that post and kudos to your memory of ancient threads.

you are welcome and thanks :)

your original posting and Krzysztof's reminded me so much of what i use in some
of my TP6 stuff... but what i use is slightly different in that it uses typed
constants and modifies them in the executable during execution...

one purpose of this would be to limit the execution of a trial program to only X
executions or that it will only run for Y days after it is first executed or
even a combination of those such that only X executions are allowed within Y
days and if either is reached, then the program stops...

i also used this technique to store registration data and options settings
directly in the executable instead of having a separate and external
configuration file...

i can post those old sources if anyone is interested... they only need ask...
the sources are dated May 1993 and i likely saved them from the Fidonet PASCAL
echo (message area)... they might have even ended up in the SWAG archives but i
don't know ;) -=B-)