[fpc-pascal] Re: Delphi's anonymous functions in Free Pascal

tcoq at free.fr tcoq at free.fr
Thu Aug 30 10:14:19 CEST 2012

I beg to differ. Read Niklaus' work on why he created Pascal: two objectives stand out : readability and ease-of-compiling. He wrote explicitly he wanted a language he could easily write his compiler in...

Sorry rigidity is not part of the original Pascal mandate. Look at Modula and the more recent Active Oberon language, you'll see objects are not in contradiction with those goals that Niklaus had. Units neither. Generics neither. Pointer (typed) neither.

Anonymous functions (or anonymous whatever) is another debate: as i wrote previously, if you can't name it, you can't design it... Pascal is all about good design, visible in the code, readable. 90% of the time a developer reads code, usually somebody else's. This is a well-known statistic. If Pascal optimizes my reading time, I'm all for it! If the new features conform to the readability and ease-of-compiling principles, then go for it! We shouldn't dwell on the Pascal of the early 1970's. I'm fed up of seeing comparisons of 2012 C++ with 1970 Pascal...

Keep up the good work, fpc team!
Best regards,
Thierry