[fpc-pascal] Language mode, assembler style

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Aug 25 12:22:47 CEST 2012

In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> Because only for modes TP and Delphi the default style is Intel instead
> of AT&T which was chosen as the default for FPC (not the mode, but the
> compiler) on x86 systems.
>
> And before you ask: I don't know why AT&T was chosen as default, maybe
> by personal preference. I personally indeed prefer the AT&T syntax over
> the Intel one...

Originally FPC only supported mode direct, passing assembler mostly verbatim
(as text) to the backend assembler (G)AS.  And AS was AT&T only at the time.

The first assembler readers date from the 0.99.8 period IIRC, or maybe one
later. This also allowed for using parameter symbols etc. (+/- 1998?)

Intel followed rather quickly, but I think that Intel style was only made
the default of mode Delphi in 1.9.8 or so.  (so say late 2004 or early
2005), when assembler really became somewhat compatible with the change to
from oldfpccall to the "register" calling convention