[fpc-pascal] Searching for files all over the disk

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Mon Aug 20 16:47:21 CEST 2012

Am 2012-08-20 16:28, schrieb Mattias Gaertner:
> Apparently it is a bad idea to scan a root directory. See http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=22630

Well, it is a bad idea to wildly scan directory branches "just in case" at all.
That's fooling so many people and there is no good reason for doing so.
Only paths specified by the user (i.e. in config) should be searched.
This bug reports makes it totaly obvious.
Beeing too smart is never a good idea (for a program).
The only outcome of such things is that users don't understand what is happening.
I would not want any program to heavily scan my disk(s) and pick up any file that seems
to fit for whatever then doing things to (or with) it I cannot control anymore.