[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: shouldwehard-codeversionedorunversionedshared libraries in our apps?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 23:41:29 CEST 2012

Hi Reinier,

On 16 August 2012 22:25, Reinier Olislagers <reinierolislagers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Presumably the sqldb would be changed for the v3 library then?

Yes, but that will only be in Trunk, and could take up to a year
before the next FPC "stable" release. I only deploy my commercial apps
with stable FPC releases. In the mean time Linux distros get released
about twice a year now. So distros will be ahead of FPC, and during
that time libfbclient.so could be point at a version our software (and
FPC) doesn't support. I hope that makes it clear now.

> Regardless, as mentioned, the Firebird services API allows you to find
> out what version a server is running.

Yes, but as someone else also did the same thing as you. You are
jumping the gun. You assume a database connection can be established.
My problem was that the app can't even run because the libfbclient.so
is missing in every standard Linux install, and that symlink is not
included in the standard Firebird Client library package.

Anyway, I got the answer to my question, and the next FPC release will
be fixed. Plus I now also know how to modify my copy of FPC 2.6.1 so
our products can be deployed with ease.

  - Graeme -