[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: shouldwehard-codeversionedorunversionedshared libraries in our apps?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Aug 16 21:09:21 CEST 2012

On 16 Aug 2012, at 20:59, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:
>>> My plan (for linux) was:
>>> Search fbclient.so search fbclient.so.2 (2.x series of firebird)
>>> search fbclient.so.1 (1.x series of Firebird) if the library name has not been specified.
>>
>> fbclient.so should not be searched. It could point to anything, including versions of the library not supported by the unit.
>
> It should not be searched on the target system. Its definition on the
> host system is "the version of the library to use by default".

The database units shipped with FPC have been written against a particular version of the API, and hence should search for those specific library versions that are known to implement that version of the API. Target/host system does not enter the picture in this scenario. That difference is pretty much only relevant if you use the system's C headers because those will correspond to the library version pointed to by the unversioned symbolic link.

Jonas