[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: shouldwehard-codeversionedorunversionedshared libraries in our apps?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Aug 16 18:11:34 CEST 2012

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On 16 August 2012 14:11, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> We'll solve the problem, thereby improving sqldb. I will implement it myself
>> next week:
>>
>> * Change default library names to make more sense.
>> * Implement library loader for cases where the default library
>>   name is not the correct one.
>

> I was about to create a patch for ibconnection.pp to add the '.2' part
> to the *nix (excluding Mac OSX - as per Jonas comment) library name.
> But from your message you seem to have other ideas too. So should I
> rather leave it up to you to fix the library name issue with other
> other modifications?

My plan (for linux) was:
Search fbclient.so
search fbclient.so.2 (2.x series of firebird)
search fbclient.so.1 (1.x series of Firebird)
if the library name has not been specified.

In case that is not ok for the developer, then she can specify anything she wants.

A separate isssue is the library loaded, but this is a different patch altogether.

If you provide a patch doing the above, go ahead, I'll gladly apply it.

If someone knows the correct version numbers for the various postgres and mysql libs,
that would be appreciated.

Michael.