[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: should we hard-codeversionedorunversioned shared libraries in our apps?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Aug 16 09:31:20 CEST 2012

>> I do not think a solution is required for the components.
>> Yes, you cannot set the location in the OI, but I do not think
>> this is needed in the first place, see the use case at the beginning.
>>

> We differ there. If it was easier to set the library file name we probably
> wouldn't have all these discussions on client not found or wrong client
> (embedded or not) loaded.

We differ only in the implementation of the 'easier way':

I meant that I do not see the advantage of writing something like

  With Inifile do
    begin
    IBConnection1.LibraryName:=ReadString('Connection','libraryName','fbclient.dll');
    end

over
   With IniFile do
     begin
     InitializeInterbase(ReadString('Connection','libraryName','fbclient.dll'));
     end;

Which is what you will end up writing in any real-world scenario.
I have never seen a real project where the databasename set in
the OI was the one actually used in the deployed app.

I cannot remember when I've last used the OI for setting the
username/password/databasename for a connection.

That, combined with the fact that the library name is project wide,
lead me to the conclusion that there is no need in a property at the
connection level.

That said, if an easier way is needed to set the library name in the IDE,
I'm all for it. I just don't think it should be a TSQLConnection property,
for the reasons explained above.

Michael.