[fpc-pascal] Re: linux: should we hard-code versionedorunversioned shared libraries in our apps?

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Wed Aug 15 18:42:50 CEST 2012

> No, this would suggest that you can set a different value for
> each instance.

I don't see what is wrong with that. You get a nice exception when you try
to load a different library than the one that is alread loaded. But if I
want to make an app that works with embedded firebird or firebird client
(user selectable at any time) that have completely different settings (user,
password, database, etc), what is I wrong with creating 2 instances in the
OI and connect only one at the time? You can't be connected the 2 at the
same time but that is a run-time issue, not design time.

> I think a settings dialog in the component editor (from the
> form designer) would be better. Or a settings dialog under 'Tools'.

Where would you store the value(s) then so that
1) it can be streamed
2) the instances can pick up the value (instances decide whether connection
is active or not. Current implementation will load library when the first
connection becomes active)
3) when using multiple db backends (FB + postgres for example) the instances
pick up the correct library

> Patches welcome :-)

ROFLMAO

No comment.