[fpc-pascal] Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:54:30 CEST 2012

On 14-8-2012 10:43, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>>
>>> The binary ? Where would you put it if not in bin ?
>> Sure, sure, but my point was the connection between fpdoc.css and
>> fpdoc.exe...
>> Not that important, please see below.
>>
>>> The fpdoc system uses a fpdoc.css file for style. We provide one which
>>> can be used, but you are under no obligation to use that file. You can
>>> perfectly create one from scratch, or adapt the existing one.
>>> Since we do not know what you want to do, we do not 'automagically' copy
>>> it to the output.
>> The following is meant as constructive advice, not criticism:
>> Very well, how many people do you think use fpdoc *and* customize
>> fpdoc.css? Even then, copying fpdoc.css to the bin directory would give
>> a sensible default, no? If people want to customize it, replace it etc
>> they can then always do so.
>>
>> If you want your fpdoc.exe usable from the bin directory, I'd just copy
>> over fpdoc.css during install.
>>
>> Now we've got 2 different behaviours:
>> - fpdoc in the source directory has fpdoc.css and will generate chm/html
>> files with it
>> - fpdoc in the bin directory doesn't have it.
>> In my view this difference in behaviour is unnecessary and only server
>> to needlessly further increase the complexity of the fpdoc system...
>
> There is no difference in behaviour.
>
> If you do not specify the location with --css-file, then fpdoc does not
> look in the bin directory, only in the current working directory.
Right.
But there still is a difference between:
cd c:\development\fpc\bin\i386-win32
fpdoc ...etc...
and
cd c:\development\fpc\utils\fpdoc
fpdoc ...etc...

> That we should distribute the file somewhere is something I agree on,
> but I do not think it should be in the bin directory; it's not a binary,
> after all.
Neither are
fp.ans
fpc.cfg
yylex.cod
program.pt
cvsup.tdf
... but they still live in my fpc bin directory...

<innocent expression>Probably supporting files of some sort?</innocent
expression>

Still, I'm glad you think the file should be distributed somewhere...

Thanks,
Reinier