[fpc-pascal] cross compiling - easier than expected - wiki needs update?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Apr 29 15:59:10 CEST 2012

In our previous episode, Bernd said:
> an fpc checkout from the 2.6 fixes branch
> a lazarus checkout from the trunk
>
> For normal compiling (not cross) after updating everything from svn  I
> usually just use
>
> in the fpc directory
> make clean all
> sudo make install

A small warning, and possibly  another outdated point, but afaik this might
go wrong if starting FPC version <> built FPC version.

Check make install output to see what "fpc"/"ppc386" binaries are used for
the process (since the version number of the destination depends on it)

> to set up. The only problem I had was the wiki page does not mention
> with any word that one must first do fpcmake -Ti386-win32

That shouldn't be necessary as Mattias already pointed out.

> maybe this also affects the other cross-compile-combinations (which
> are certainly more complicated because of the binutils but maybe also
> became easier), but I don't have enough experience with this to feel
> confident enough to make changes. Someone else with more routine in
> cross compiling should do this.

Non windows as target brings in binutils. For windows they are built in.