[fpc-pascal] making FPC more code optimized

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Apr 29 12:22:21 CEST 2012

Am 29.04.2012 11:40, schrieb ik:
> Hello,
>
> Here is something that I'm asking without really know anything about
> the subject, so please bear with me.
>
> I'ved asked few places that works with Pascal (Delphi and FPC), why
> does they use C as the infrastructure, and they all say that there is
> not even one Pascal compiler that makes the code optimized and fast
> running with low resources, while many C compilers does have such
> features.
> For them it's not the language, but the compilers that are problematic.
>
> I'm not talking about "killer feature" that never exists, but what
> stops FPC and/or other Pascal compilers to be more optimized, with
> lower footprint,

Regarding footprint, FPC is far ahead of everything:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/which-language-is-best.php?calc=chart&gpp=on&java=on&ghc=on&sbcl=on&csharp=on&racket=on&v8=on&hipe=on&vw=on&php=on&python3=on&lua=on&perl=on&yarv=on&cint=on&xfullcpu=0&xmem=1&xloc=0&nbody=1&fannkuchredux=1&meteor=0&fasta=1&fastaredux=1&spectralnorm=1&revcomp=1&mandelbrot=1&knucleotide=1&regexdna=1&pidigits=1&chameneosredux=0&threadring=0&binarytrees=1

> faster code like with C compilers for example ?

Spent more man power into optimizer development, though some
optimizations are hard in pascal because we assume stricter aliasing
rules and because we don't have a volatile keyword.