[fpc-pascal] Program without window but messages

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 25 10:01:27 CEST 2012

Am 24.04.2012 18:25, schrieb Jürgen Hestermann:
> I wanted to write a program that has no window but may show messages to
> the user.
> I have lots of such programs written with Virtual Pascal but I am
> struggling
> to do the same with Free Pascal/Lazarus.
>
> A simple test program would look like this:
>
> --------------------------------
> program Test;
> {$mode objfpc}{$H+}
> uses Interfaces,Forms,Windows,SysUtils,Dialogs;
> {$R *.res}
>
> begin
> ShowMessage('TEST');
> end.
> --------------------------------
>
> When I create a new project and select to create an "Application",
> copy the above into the main program (ignoring Unit1.pas) and run
> the program I get an exception "Fensterklasse nicht gefunden" (in
> german, although I setup Lazarus in english!) and I am put into
> Win32WSControls.

This specific exception could be the result of a
SysErrorMessage(GetLastOSError) which on Windows uses the routines of
Windows to translate the error and thus will be in the language your OS
is setup for. (Note: this is a guess, but maybe a very valid one ;) )

> When I try the same with a new "Program" and use the same test file
> (just omitting Interfaces and Forms units, because Lazarus cannot find it.
> Why? I did find it when creating an "Application") I cannot even
> compile it because I get:
>
> project1.lpr(10,12) Error: Identifier not found "ShowMessage"
>
> The wiki ( http://wiki.freepascal.org/Dialog_Examples/de#ShowMessage )
> says that this function is definied in Dialogs which I included in my
> uses clause. Still it cannot find it. Why is ShowMessage not available?
>
> Creating a console program is not an option because it will create a
> console window which I don't need.
>
> Anybody who knows why it is like that?

As you are using LCL functions it would be better if you ask such things
on the Lazarus list.

Regards,
Sven