[fpc-pascal] Compiling from and to memory

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sat Apr 21 02:32:54 CEST 2012

On 4/20/2012 14:13, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:26:28 +0200
> Florian Klaempfl<florian at freepascal.org>  wrote:
[...]
>> Do you have any proof that writing/reading to the files to disk is an
>> issue? On modern harddisks and OSes the plain I/O speed is normally not
>> the issue when compiling.
>
> True.
> Lazarus make clean all under Linux 64 bit:
>
> ramdisk:
> real    1m8.377s
> user    1m2.584s
> sys     0m4.212s
>
> disk:
> real    1m11.661s
> user    1m5.488s
> sys     0m4.352s

AFAIK, linux also has much better caching capabilities, too... at least as
compared to winwhatever... in one project i work with, there are magnitudes of
difference when sufficiently large cache memory is available... i'm talking
about compiling a complete and stripped linux based OS with all associated tools
and apps for a network security device aimed at dumpster diving acquired
hardware, though... still, when we're talking about 100 minutes of RAM based IO
compared to 200+ or more minutes of strictly hardware based IO writes, it makes
a huge difference ;)