[fpc-pascal] Re: RE : RE : Re: SQLDB GetSchemaInfoSQL for indexesetc?

Ludo Brands ludo.brands at free.fr
Thu Apr 19 16:38:10 CEST 2012

> > Has anybody used this functionality in sqldb at all?
>
> No. For a simple reason:
>
> I implemented all this information in fpdatadict;
> I think it belongs more there, and definitely not in the
> basic data API.

Some of the metadata are necessary in the basic data API (tables, columns,
indices) and are a partial overlap with the TFPDDEngine descendants. >From an
abstraction perspective, I think it is better to have database specifics as
much as possible in one location and use standards as much as possible when
specifying metadata.

To be honest, I just discovered fpdatadict. Probably the missing
implementation of a lot of the databases is one of the reasons why I haven't
noticed it before.
First impression is that the fpdatadict implementation makes sense but
unfortunately the properties used are perhaps close to one particular
database but are insufficient or confusing for other databases (no reference
to schema or catalog, NUMERIC_SCALE, length vs. octet_length,
collation,...).

Ludo