[fpc-pascal] DBF Field name length and fpdbfexport

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Sep 6 08:32:58 CEST 2011

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> On 5-9-2011 23:20, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>>> Turns out the dbf export code needs at least another patch.
>>> DBF export missed support for ftfloat and other field types.
>>>
>>> Issue + patch at
>>> http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=20160
>> I have applied the patch (partially). Thank you.
> Thank you, also for the explanation in the bug report.
> Wasn't aware of your/maintainers' preferences regarding naming, so I'll
> keep that in mind. To be honest, just thought you guys were lazy & old
> fashioned to use I & J as loop counter variables ;)

No, brevity is a virtue. Small is beautiful :-)

>> Just out of curiousity: Are you planning extensive improvements in the
>> Lazarus Data desktop ? :)
> No, still trying to get an application to work that sucks in a custom
> record type and spits out
> - CSV (needs to be fixed, see below)
> - DBF (as mentioned, needs more fixes, working on that next)
> - Excel xls
> - Access XML (Access .mdb or .accdb would have been nicer, but well...)
> - possibly SQL insert statements when that is fixed (see below)
>
> See outputparser directory in source:
> https://bitbucket.org/reiniero/db2securityscript/src
>
> I've noticed that SQL insert statement output (issue 19937) and CSV
> output (issue 19759) don't work well either (quoting issues for memo
> fields and/or blobs), so if anyone's feeling in a bug fixing mood,
> there's patches in there already ;)

I'll definitely have a look at them later today.

> I do intend also to upload the dbf export test I used in these bug
> reports for inclusion in the fcl db test directory.

Great !

> Also, creating a Lazarus XMLSDExport component, and possibly rewriting
> CSVexport to use sdfdata, so it needs less code (current code basically
> duplicates what sdfdata does...)

Well, the reason I didn't do that was that I wanted to test the generated
files with sdfdata. Kind of a cross-check.

You are aware that the Export components can be registered inside lazarus ?

> Why, are you looking for people to improve Datadesktop (any hints) or
> planning to improve it yoursel? ;)

I continuously improve it (slowly), and now your patches do as well, all
these components are used in the data desktop :-) But from your descriptions
I gathered that you were working on something similar as the data desktop.

Michael.