[fpc-pascal] 3-tier database applications with FPC

ABorka fpc-devel at aborka.com
Wed Oct 19 18:42:38 CEST 2011

On 10/19/2011 07:05, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:
> [...]
<...snip...>
 >>>   I created a FastCGI based server that handles JSON requests from a
 >>>   Win32/Linux GUI app, that uses a custom made ORM similar to tiOPF
and it
 >>>   works really fast, even on slow-long distance networks.  I never
had to do
 >>>   this, but as most modern http servers support gzip compression, one
 >>>   alternative to binary formats is to enable compression on server
side, and
 >>>   decompress on client side.
 >>>
 >>>   This approach has the advantage of JSON readability and the small
size of
 >> binary format.
 >>
 >> That's exactly what we do also.
 >> But in the case of large packages (we have datasets of 30.000 records),
 >> the JSON is really slow.
 >>
 >> The browser chokes already on a dataset of 3000 records, when using
ExtJS =-)

 >> Michael.
 >>
 > In those cases, we use pagination. We allways ask for record 1-100,
101-200, and so on.

 > Leonardo M. Ramé

Exactly.
Also, with ExtJS 4.0 they made a point of significantly speeding up most
things.
Usually, the problem with ExtJS 3.x is not with the slowness of JSON
itself compared to binary communication, but with the thousands of DOM
elements you need to create to display such a big set of data using
javascript on client browser side.
Of course, it is still a 4.0.x version at the moment, so I would wait
until 4.1 at least before using it in a production environment.

AB