[fpc-pascal] Any command line interpreters for Free Pascal?

Andrew Pennebaker andrew.pennebaker at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 19:56:47 CEST 2011

How do you write scripts? With a text editor? Then you don't have a debugger
at hand, no syntax highlighting, etc. And this lets you write code quick?
Not for me.

There may be a language barrier here. When I say "text editor", I mean
something like vi, Emacs, TextMate, Eclipse. Syntax highlighting and code
completion are often a given.

No debugger at hand? An interpreter *is* a debugger.

Sorry, but you might have to learn proper software development skills...

The final result of a project may be compiled code, but that doesn't mean we
are restricted from using an interpreted environment to develop that code.
You can use the same tools + an interpreter. That's an extra tool for
software development, not the only one. If you don't like using instantfpc,
you don't have to. But if you do, it would be nice if fpc played nicely with
instantfpc-enabled code.

Scripting tools/languages have their purpose, compiled
languages/environments have theirs.

Aye, scripting language and compiled languages often serve different
purposes, but that doesn't mean they have to. You can write shell scripts in
Haskell and compile executables in Ruby. Interpreted languages compile code
in the background, so the difference is superficial.

Forcing some clutches of some scripting languages onto a compiled language
just doesn't make sense, you are just promoting software bloat at it's best.

Yes, software bloat is to be avoided. In the simplest terms, I'm asking for
fpc to consider shebangs as comments. That little syntactical addition
wouldn't bloat fpc by much at all, but it would allow the same code to be
compiled by fans of fpc, and interpreted by fans of instantfpc.

The current situation forces coders to decide "I'm going to write compiled
code" or "I'm going to write interpreted code." That's kind of sad, because
when you do want to use fpc, you don't want to go through a friend's code
and manually remove his shebangs. By adding shebang comments, fpc would be
able to run instantfpc programs. This feature unites programmers, it doesn't
divide them.

Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us