[fpc-pascal] Any command line interpreters for Free Pascal?

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sat Oct 15 18:47:06 CEST 2011

Andrew Pennebaker schrieb:
 > Adding shebangs to fpc wouldn't kill Pascal or compiled programming.

Of course not. It just binds man power to something useless (IMO).

 > It would welcome scripting programmers into the Pascal community, and
let Pascal programmers write and test code more quickly.

More quickly? That sounds as if you never programmed in an integrated
developement environment. How do you write scripts? With a text editor?
Then you don't have a debugger at hand, no syntax highlighting, etc. And
this lets you write code quick? Not for me.

 > Again, there's no need to fret about interpreted vs compiled.

I only don't get it why someone would like to write "scripts" instead of
programs. Sounds quite masochistic. I know there are "real" script
languages that live from a certain level of abstraction. But Pascal?
That's a compiler language for fast programs.

 > Even for compiled languages, there are interpreted options.

But why?

 > Finally, adding scripting capability to a programming language allows
coders to use a language to be used for shell scripts. If you love
Pascal, you might want to write sysadmin tools in Pascal to automate
your workflow.

I do that all the time. But they are all compiled executables that I can
launch from any script. Why should I force a compiler run at each
executable runtime?