[fpc-pascal] freetype unit + unicode

David Emerson dle3ab at angelbase.com
Tue Oct 4 10:17:10 CEST 2011

> > What freetype API function are you calling? Not sure if it applies to
> > freetype, but with Xft (as implemented and used in fpGUI), there are
> > various versions of the same API. You need to call the correct one based
> > on the encoding type of you text.
>
> freetype.GetStringGray
>
> I've tried tweaking all kinds of things but the sad truth is that I am really
> pathetic at figuring out libraries when no documentation is given, and I sure
> can't find any documentation.
>
> I see that the fpgui helloworld program handles unicode nicely. I guess I'll
> try and imitate whatever's happening there.

Easier said than done... the reason I've been using freetype.GetStringGray
(oops, excuse me -- freetype.TFontManager.GetStringGray) is that it returns
TStringBitmaps, which I can use within my framework. It looks like the behavior
of XftDrawStringUtf8 is to draw something on the screen, whereas I need to
access the individual character glyphs and do the drawing later. hum.

Is there some secret, hidden documentation for fpc's freetype unit? (and so many
other units?) :P

~David.