[fpc-pascal] Re: Delphi's anonymous functions in Free Pascal

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Tue Nov 8 10:59:56 CET 2011

On Tue, November 8, 2011 09:37, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> 2011/11/8 Tomas Hajny :
>>
>> Examples?
>
> I can list them all, but I'm not going to waist my time on them again.
> Search the mailing list or Mantis.
>
> But to humour you, here is just one of many examples: THelpEvent in
> the RTL. I proposed a patch to change it to be more in line with FPC's
> goals [being a cross-platform compiler, so requires cross-platform
> solutions]. The change was declined because THelpEvent is a direct
> copy of Delphi's equivalent, and even worse, is very Windows specific
> in its signature. Yes, it's a small and stupid example, but there are
> many more like this. Delphi-compatibility seems to trump everything
> else (as Martin said).

This is a nice example of my reason for asking. What you list here is not
a new feature but change to something what was created in order to provide
Delphi compatibility in the first place. Extending such stuff should be
possible (and has been done many times), changing it by breaking the
compatibility is not necessarily such a good idea.

On the other hand, I don't think that new features are being rejected
because they may add something not available in Delphi (FPC already
provides features not available in Delphi and there is no reason why more
of them shouldn't be added - if they are reasonable and there are people
willing to implement and maintain them.

Tomas