[fpc-pascal] FPC 2.4.2 source

Bernd Kreuss prof7bit at googlemail.com
Sat May 21 12:54:41 CEST 2011

On 21.05.2011 12:11, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>> The thing I have never understood is why it split into a myriad of
>> different .deb files
>
> Because of Debian policies.

There exists a debian policy to split a large package into some randomly
chosen smaller ones although *none* of them can ever be used
individually without *all* others?

I didn't know this. The only policy I know of is that there is a
convention to separate packages for binary and source (and headers if
C/C++) and even is not generally applicable to all programming languages.

I would just make one binary package and one source package and ignore
the affectivities of the debian bureaucrats and let them split it on
their own if they so desperately want to split things for no reason that
have always belonged together. I promise: They wont. They will take the
package as it is. Don't ever let your productivity be hindered by some
crazy Debian bureaucrats, don't let them dictate you how to architect
your own software, don't waste any valuable time trying to fulfill their
crazy unreasonable wishes. Just ignore them. Don't listen to them when
they are trying to educate you about your own software, they have no
clue about it. Do what makes sense and ignore everything that has no
other reason than pure bureaucracy. They will bow (rather sooner than
later) because they simply have no other choice and either do the work
themselves or (more likely) simply take the package more or less as it is.

Bernd