[fpc-pascal] FPC 2.4.2 source

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat May 21 09:47:44 CEST 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 20:43:01 +0300
"Juha (gmail)" <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner kirjoitti perjantai, 20. toukokuuta 2011 15:16:30:
> >  "Juha (gmail)" <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> hat am 20. Mai 2011 um 13:07
> >  > Installing and updating both FPC and Lazarus is still a major obstacle
> >  > for many people. We must improve things to make the first impression
> >  > smoother.
> >
> >  For example?
>
> Some strange error pop up like #19289: Error on rebuild
>
>   /usr/lib64/lazarus/ide/lazarus.pp(130,1) Error: Can't call the resource
> compiler "/usr/bin/fpcres", switching to external mode

What could be the reason for this?
What can be done to help solving this?

> It is a single case, but the forum had many complaints when people updated
> from 0.9.28 to 0.9.30. Also when people try to compile trunk and they had a
> release version earlier, they often have problems.
> A typical one is:
>   can't find unit xxx needed by unit yyy.

There are more than 20 reasons for this. I started a page for this.
Feel free to improve the page.
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Unit_not_found_-_How_to_find_units

Lazarus has a test button checking for several misconfigurations and
there is a quickfix item. Feel free to improve them.

> Those people have usually cleaned their file system and deleted local config
> files. So, updating seems to be a bigger problem than a fresh install.

Mattias