[fpc-pascal] Re: What is the syntax for generating fpc.cfg from a new compiler stored at location xxxx with fpcmkcfg ?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue May 10 13:28:10 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, Frank Church said:
> I tried to build FreePascal 2.5.1 using FPC 2.4.2 and when it comes to
> generating the .fpc.cfg using samplecfg there is an error message about -p
> option not present.

Rule of thumb, if you use some script or other tool from a repository, you
must also use those tools in the version you find in that repository.

The only exception is the bootstrap compiler.

The trouble is that samplecfg is mostly used to generate fpc.cfg after
installing a binary release (be it a debian/RPM/ports package or a binary
.tgz).

IOW the compiler is globally installed before it is run.