[fpc-pascal] Installing FPC 2.4.4 for Ubuntu / Mint+otherthoughts

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jun 17 14:22:03 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, Peter said:
> > If you look carefully, you'll see the 64-bit 2.4.4 .deb releases are not even
> > generated. {in ftp.hu.freepascal.org}
> >

> Good point. In addition to the Debian packages I mentioned earlier there
> is a complete single file tar-ball here for x86_64

The reference release of Free Pascal on Linux/FreeBSD is a .tar, e.g. for
Linux/x86_64:

ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dist/2.4.4/x86_64-linux/

This is meant for odd ball distros and -versions and for people with special
demands (since you can extract the tar and study and modify the install.

The RPM and deb's are generated if there is enough interest (interest
defined as people willing to generate and support it)