[fpc-pascal] FPC & fpGUI runs happily under OpenSolaris 2010.03

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 16:06:25 CEST 2011

Hi,

After reading a post about another FPC developers trying to get a
development system up and running under Solaris 10, I got curious. I
downloaded OpenSolaris 2010.03 (dev 134). Installation was painless
inside VirtualBox. Downloaded FPC's 2.4.4 release for Solaris.
Installation was the easiest ever using that extra install script! [Yes
even easier than under Linux or Windows] :)

I then went ahead and installed git and GNU binutils packages, so I can
get some source code and so that FPC can link executables. Again nothing
difficult there. I pulled source code for fpGUI from the repository, and
fired off the build.sh script. One minor compiler error that I quickly
fixed. Reran the build script. Oh yeah!!! 2nd compile and it worked
perfectly! :-D

I went ahead and compiled a few more apps: The UIDesigner (fpGUI's
visual form designer), fpgIDE (an example project resembling and IDE)
and a few other example projects. They all worked without a hitch!

Here are some screenshots.

   http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/~graemeg/fpgui_on_solaris-1.png
   http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/~graemeg/fpgui_on_solaris-2.png

 or if your ISP or company blocks DynDns domains...

   http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=182330

That means fpGUI Toolkit now runs under the following platforms:
 - Linux
 - FreeBSD
 - DesktopBSD
 - OpenSolaris
 - Embedded Linux
 - Windows
 - Windows CE.
 - Mac OSX 10.6.x (via the built-in X11 support)

Kudos to the Free Pascal Compiler team for doing a great job once again.
FPC rocks!

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/