[fpc-pascal] Permuted index (KWIC) of function descriptions

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 17:46:50 CET 2011

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be said:
>
>>> Categorizing routines, with subcategs if need be will be trouble enough,
>>> specially if you want to do it future proof (and also be able to flag the static
>>> method approach that Delphi current favours)
>> OK, that was totally chinese. I'll have to ask my chinese pillow to
>> translate this.
>
> I mean procedures and functions is not enough. It must be possible to add
> static methods to this categorization system too (to be visible in the same
> overviews as normal functions), because newer delphi versions stuff all new
> routines as static methods into classes, and sooner or later we will have to
> deal with that too.
>
> With subcateg(ory)s I meant that simply one dimensional tagging might not be
> enough.  You might want to have a broad category with several smaller ones
> nested in it.

The problems with tagging etc. are that (a) somebody's got to do the
work retroactively and (b) there's a temptation to fit things into
existing categories (should Soundex support go into sorting, hashing, or
its own category?).

As a user with limited experience, I'd settle for something that
generated a simple KWIC list, even if I had to manually exclude some
possibilities.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk