[fpc-pascal] The new Delphi 2010 RTTI

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 10 11:08:41 CET 2011

Am 10.01.2011 11:00, schrieb alexvins at mail.ru:
> 10.01.2011 12:50, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be пишет:
>>

>> Why ? There is no need for that; You can perfectly use the OS
>> functionality.
>> All you need to do is add a layer on top which hides the OS specifics.
>> Borland could do it, so we can do it too.
>>
>> The main problem is the Windows target where a library is more like a
>> self-contained exe. On Linux (and probably Mac OS), libraries already
>> work as packages are intended to work.
>>
>> Michael.
>>
> Delphi package is standart DLL with PE file format - it is not portable
> without things like Wine for example.

FPC packages won't use PE format on non Windows systems, but Mach-O on
Mac OS X and ELF on Linux.

The main point with packages is that a package is a libary that can be
loaded at runtime with some compiler magic. It is not important whether
this is called DLL or SO or what binary format that library consists of.

Regards,
Sven