[fpc-pascal] The new Delphi 2010 RTTI

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Mon Jan 10 10:50:44 CET 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, alexvins at mail.ru wrote:

> 10.01.2011 12:05, Sven Barth пишет:
>> No, FPC should rely on the operating system for dynamic linking. There is
>> no use in duplicating a functionality that is already there. One "just"
>> needs to spot all problems that might arise on different platforms when
>> using dynamic libraries (e.g. symbol resolution on Windows vs. ELF based
>> systems).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sven
>>
> If so, there must be an executable format supported by all FPC target
> platforms natively. I don't know any such format. We have to duplicate some
> OS functions to make things crossplatform.

Why ?
There is no need for that; You can perfectly use the OS functionality.
All you need to do is add a layer on top which hides the OS specifics.
Borland could do it, so we can do it too.

The main problem is the Windows target where a library is more like a
self-contained exe. On Linux (and probably Mac OS), libraries already
work as packages are intended to work.

Michael.