[fpc-pascal] help with synapse mime routines...

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sat Feb 19 14:37:58 CET 2011

On Sat, February 19, 2011 02:41, waldo kitty wrote:
> On 2/18/2011 04:47, Tomas Hajny wrote:
>> On Fri, February 18, 2011 02:24, waldo kitty wrote:
>> First of all, you should check whether
>> the missing units are supposed to be platform independent or not.
>
> yes, part of what i'm running into is platform dependency problems... i
> forget
> which unit it is that's triggering the platform stuff but where it is
> failing is
> when trying to bring in platform stuff like loading libraries and there's
> nothing in my code that needs any libraries to be loaded for any reason
> that i'm
> aware of... it is possible that "WalkParts" might want something loaded
> from a
> lib but i do not need anything like that for my immediate purposes since
> i'm
> only looking for the text/plain section(s) and extracting them to an ASCII
> text
> file...

If I should speculate, I'd guess for character set conversions.

 .
 .
> i shall try to grab these in the future... one thing that may also be
> causing
> waves is that my OS/2 and DOS FPCs are 2.4.2 releases whereas on my
> development
> machine(s), i'm pulling FPC and lazarus from their SVNs and building them
> from
> the ground up... both of my development machines started with nothing on
> them
> until i pulled the code from SVN and the bootstrap compiler to kick it in
> the
> arse and build working environments...

I don't think that this should be a major problem in your case (you don't
need any recent features probably ;-) ).

>>> i'm just not sure where to turn now so out of frustration, i'm now
>>> pulling
>>> down the dos242full.zip of FPC and will be installing that to another
>>> directory on the OS/2 box... then it should be a simple matter of
>>> copying
>>> the project to another directory in there and giving it a kick in the
>>> arse
>>> to see what happens... hopefully i'll end up with a workable executable
>>> and
>>> my project with be, basically, at the end :)
>
> yeah, the above failed miserably... i didn't realize that LFNs were
> necessary
> and the DOS version on OS/2 simply cannot access OS/2 LFNs in any way
> shape or
> fashion at all...

Yes, that's a "feature" of the OS/2 virtual DOS machine (partly because
this emulation is at MS DOS 5.00 level, long before W95 LFN API for DOS).

>> I'd recommend using the OS/2 target directly in your case;
>
> OS/2 straight? not the OS/2 w/ EMX?? it really doesn't matter to me as
> long as i
> end up with a working executable for the task at hand...
 .
 .

I mean the target 'OS2' (default with the OS/2 version of FPC 2.4.2). It
still uses EMX binary format which also implies dependency on EMX.DLL, but
it is based on native OS/2 APIs (as opposed to target EMX aka 'OS/2 via
EMX' which is based on EMX runtime and allows building single executables
running under both OS/2 and DOS natively as long as you restrict yourself
to basic stuff like units System and DOS). However, target EMX does not
really work at the moment, it would need some effort to make it up and
running again.

Tomas