[fpc-pascal] Javascript in Desktop Applications

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 18:31:50 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Brian Winfrey <bwcode4u at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some interest in exploring javascript implementations for fpc.
> http://code.google.com/p/fpcjs/  -- Is this comparable to what you have noted?

Actually fpcjs is the first project that I, (myself), have seen that
addresses the gateway issue of accessing application level methods.
Granted fcpjs (currently) only supports one type of callback(variant
array):variant.  The only issue I see is having a quasi fpc/js design
restriction in developing apps with no OOP - coding low-level linear
methods(for register) with maps to JS object counterparts.  The other
MAJOR issue is that callbacks via Register are not working on Linux
!?!.   Docs said they needed something about native registration.  But
this project looks lightweight enough on its face.

I'm at a point in my project where I think I am needing something like
this.  In an ideal world, any application level scripting engine
should know how to interface with FPC objects @ runtime w/o variants.

Currently, my largest problem is  because without things like scripting :
  * Admins must rebuild the service exe every time back-end objects
are modified.
  * Production environments where each binary is installed on a
different device across the network cluster(s)/node(s) will have
different versions.
  * Auto-build or auto-updates via distribution system will most
likely lead to problems for either us or for Admins during deployment.

The use of a scripting engine would resolve these problems.