[fpc-pascal] where are the sources for rtl.chm, fcl.chm ref.chm etc.?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Dec 24 18:43:55 CET 2011

In our previous episode, Bernd said:
> I am trying to build the chm help files (rtl, fcl, and ref) from
> source (to use them with Lazarus) and cannot find find them anywhere.

> I have found downloads of ready made chm files for rtl and fcl but I
> don't know how to build them myself and also I am missing for example
> ref.chm (and maybe others too) which Lazarus is trying to open when
> pressing F1 on Pascal keywords.

The fpcdocs repository, run the "fixdocs.sh" scripts. Afaik for the lazarus
there is no "blind" script.  The dependencies are the same as html building.
(latex,tex4ht) and fpdoc (I always use trunk when I can, sicne usually a few
more small things are fixed )

There is the buildhtml.sh script, but some parameters and environmental
variables need to be set. (CSS location, fpcdocs directory and HTMLFMT to
CHM)

> IMHO there should be a top level makefile target to easily build *all*
> of them at once (btw: the same criticism [toplevel makefile target]
> applies to Lazarus as well but at least there I can easily find the
> folder with the lcl docs in the source tree)

There is a toplevel shellscript. Should be close enough. I never committed
the lazarus one (which is much shorter, since it only parameterizes an
existing script) because it had hardcoded references to my dir layout.

> Maybe I am missing something completely obvious but I just can't find
> it and neither google nor the wiki was of much help (I don't even know
> what exactly to search for)

It is not documented, but it is not a secret either.