[fpc-pascal] inline and other modifiers

noreply at z505.com noreply at z505.com
Thu Dec 22 07:38:09 CET 2011

> On 12/21/2011 20:27, noreply at z505.com wrote:
>>
>> Also delphi is
>> more strict when it comes to PROGRAM name parsing. In freepascal the
>> program name can mismatch the file name, whereas delphi stops compiling
>> and tells you error.
>
> i've never known this (program name must equal filename) to be a
> requirement...
> but then again, i've never used delphi... i have, however, used TP2 thru
> TP/BP7
> and in a world stricken with 8.3 filename limitations, being able to have
> something like
>
>    PROGRAM TestMonitorResolutions
>
> with a filename of montest.pas was a GoodThing<tm>... why this would ever
> change
> simply because we can use long filenames is completely beyond me <smh>

Possibly it was Unit names and not program names, my memory may not serve
me well.  I came across issues when compiling some code once, and there
was something different between compilers like unit name strictness.

The problem with allowing any sort of syntax is that your code is not
portable, different compilers might not accept it, where others will
accept it.  This can lead to people creating hundreds of files that
compile with one compiler but not another. That's one advantage of
defining a language standard.