[fpc-pascal] Distributing unit object files

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Dec 15 16:55:27 CET 2011

On 15 Dec 2011, at 16:19, Andrew Brunner wrote:

> project has the source to.  And FPC is looking to recompile the
> compiled object file because a CRC has changed for a contributing unit
> that was used when the unit object file was created.
>
> How do I make FPC not rebuild the unit object file when contributing
> units to the compiled unit have been modified? What is the best
> strategy - if at all?

You can try compiling your units with -Ur, which will tell the
compiler that it should try not to recompile those units. That won't
help if the CRC of a unit they depend on has changed though. The
reason is that a changed CRC means that something in the interface of
that other unit has changed, which in turn may have an effect on the
current unit (it may call routines that no longer exist, use constants
whose value has changed, override methods that are now located in a
different VMT slot, etc).

Jonas