[fpc-pascal] Re: Why is Random(255) some 529x slower compared Delphi 7?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 10:45:32 CET 2011

On 8 December 2011 11:35, Schindler Karl-Michael wrote:
> now, will cause another change in the future. The only question is on the time, when
> computers are so fast, that hardly anyone will bother about speed of the method.

I absolutely despise such logic! It's a disgrace to the programming profession.

> Therefore, I propose to keep the current method, because it has the better long term
> perspective.

And in the mean time my code must run 529x slower than Delphi. Great.

> The needs for a faster method today should be matched with an additional procedure,
> let's name it random_fast.

Nice, now I need to riddle my code with IFDEF statements (making in
much harder to read) because lots of the code in question is shared
between Delphi and FPC. :-/

  - Graeme -