[fpc-pascal] make install

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Aug 24 09:26:14 CEST 2011

On Tue, August 23, 2011 15:47, Marcos Douglas wrote:
> Hi,
> For developers that use FPC sources from SVN, like me, I ask:
> 1. There are some advantage to use 'make install' to compile FPC? Which?
> 2. There are some advantage to install (make install) in a directory
> different of the sources? Which?

I'd say that there are several possible advantages there. First, removing
your SVN tree (e.g. in case that it got broken for some reason) doesn't
remove your FPC installation. Second, it's a good practice to keep
executable files in dedicated directories, e.g. to avoid setting PATH to a
directory with source files. Third, in a multi-user environment you may
want to provide access to your compiled FPC snapshot also to other users
(including those who may not have access to your sources). Finally, it
allows parallel installation of different FPC versions - you may need that
in case of some regressions in FPC, etc. I may have missed one or two
more... ;-)

Tomas