[fpc-pascal] FPC i386 and x86_64 using the same source

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Aug 22 23:24:29 CEST 2011

On 22 Aug 2011, at 23:08, Marcos Douglas wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:
>>
>> On 22 Aug 2011, at 22:51, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>>
>>> In my opinion, everything that was created should have a prefix folder
>>> specifying your TARGET.
>>> If I compile the FPC to x64 plataform all these binaries only will run
>>> on this platform. I want to have each file/exe/ppu/etc for each
>>> platform.
>>
>> That is not supported. You also have not explained why you want all utilities compiled for multiple platforms under the same prefix.
>
> So, I understood right, is not supported.
> I not need these utilities and I do not know if they all are important
> or who uses them, etc.

Some of them are used by the makefiles, some by the compiler and some by the user.

> But if, one day, I will use some utility, I shoud compile it to use
> because I never know if it is 32 or 64bit. I'm right?

It doesn't matter whether it is 32 or 64 bit, it will do exactly the same (except for "fpc", which will call ppcx64 if it was compiled for 64 bit, and ppc386 if it was compiled for 32 bit).

> What do you recommends?
> 1. Keep two sources, one to each plataform or;
> 2. Keep the same source, with specific directories for each plataform,
> ignoring the utilities.

3. Install everything to the same prefix. Add CROSSINSTALL=1 to the "make install" line for which you do *not* want to install the utilities (e.g., if you want the default compiler to be the i386 one, add CROSSINSTALL=1 when installing the 64 bit compiler)

Jonas