[fpc-pascal] FreeVision usable in a client/server database application?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 12:03:00 CEST 2011

On 4 August 2011 11:45, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> which one is faster. (And also personal taste, I must admit - I'm still
> drawn to using a mouse when entering data on Windows apps, even though I
> know I can use the tab/cursor keys etc.)

I fully understand that, most GUI desktop apps are not well designed
for keyboard navigation. Yes they tend to work, but nobody wants to
tab 10 times just to get to the right text entry field. This is why I
mentioned "purpose built for data input". I had to tweak our data
input apps to be much more "keyboard efficient": automatically move to
the next field, default focus is more precise etc.  It only takes a
little bit of effort from the developers side, but makes a huge
difference for the data capturer.

> Also, it obviously is a good test of the modularity of the code, but I
> could perform the same test with a web interface.

Try writing Unit Tests instead. When creating unit tests, you very
quickly find mistakes in your object design. Plus you have something
that actually validates your code too. :-)

One step better, would be to implement Test Drive Development. Write
the unit tests first, using the API you WISH YOU HAD, then implement
that API. Your already existing unit tests will verify when you get it
right. This actually makes your object API's a lot more developer
friendly.

  - Graeme -