[fpc-pascal] Best optimizations for Intel Quad Core CPU

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:19:01 CEST 2011

Hi,

I know when deploying an application, it is always best to be
conservative with the compiler optimization options - thus your
application can run on most CPU's out there (maximum compatibility).

But what is the best optimization options I can specify for my own
system. This includes FPC itself, Lazarus IDE, MSEide, fpGUI DocView,
fpGUI UI Designer etc... all the tools I use on a daily basis.

I find it a waist compiling for 386 CPU compatibility, when there is not
a single person in our office still running a 386 system.

So for a start, I want to optimize the application that run on MY
system. This is the CPU I have in my system:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 23
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9400  @ 2.66GHz
stepping	: 10
cpu MHz		: 2664.451
cache size	: 3072 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 4
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 4
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 13
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips	: 5328.90
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/